Monday, May 17, 2010

Excellence. Tenacity. Passion. Ownership. Tomato. Tomahto.

Sometimes reading too much makes my head spin.  Not in a bad way (mostly).  But so many times it completely affirms everything I am as an educator, and then I get fired up. 
I was reading some work of Alan Sitomer, a three-time teacher of the year in California.  He's interesting to listen to, has some great ideas for novels and poetry, is an author himself, and he, too, gets fired up.  He teaches high school; but I've got to be honest with you here - teaching teens isn't that unlike teaching young children.  Eighth graders are kindergartners with hormones; I've always said that and believe it to this day.  But Alan had some tips for teaching teens, and they're good.  However, I would like to extend these "tips" to younger children, and I would also like to extend these "tips" to adults.  I am concentrating today on four "tips":  be tenacious, be passionate, take ownership and seek excellence.
I talked with a parent today who was relating a story of an older child's time in high school.  She talked of her son with an English teacher.  The English teacher was teaching about commas and semi-colons with quotation marks (now, my ears perked up, because anyone who has had me knows that the semi-colon is by far my favorite piece of punctuation).  The teacher could not tell exactly when to use semi-colons and when to use commas with the quotation marks.  Can I repeat that:  The HONORS English teacher could not tell exactly when to use semi-colons and when to use commas with the quotation marks.  Instead, a quick explanation of "it's personal choice" and "writing has become much more relaxed today" was offered up to the student. 
How can we expect excellence of students and schools when we don't expect it of ourselves?  I know my expectations are over the top at times.  I know that about myself, and frankly, I'm mostly okay with it - because if I accept mediocrity, well, where will that get me?  Or us?  Being passionate isn't bad.  Frankly, it can get a person pretty far - better results, obstacles overcome, going an extra mile.  In other words, tenacity.  Not bad pay-out - and look - those three "tips" are inter-related.  hmmm.

Well, let's talk about tenacity for a second.  Alan Sitomer included a quote from Calvin Coolidge, which I will also include here (political views aside... can anyone tell me Calvin Coolidge's lasting legacy?  Pretty good human rights record, better than most during that era...):
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education will not:  The world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.  The slogan "Press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Well, he's got it right.  I know tons of "smart" people who do nothing with their talent; I have had many, many students who aren't the most naturally talented but work hard and achieve great things.  And I also know many students who had great talent but no one helped them cultivate that talent because it seemed as though they "had more" than others.  Persistence - on all parts - is what will be the universal solvent.  If we expect our students to be tenacious (which I do), we have to expect tenacity of ourselves (which I do).
Which leads me to ownership.  If we are passionate about something, we take clear ownership of it.   We are tenacious in its success.  Failure is not an option (ask the Apollo 13 dudes).  And if we really are taking ownership, we expect excellence of all - including ourselves.  Again, would a parent actually WANT mediocre effort from a teacher?  From a principal?  From a doctor or an attorney?  Doubtful.  In turn, I expect students to be vested in their education.  I also expect parents to be vested in education.  I can teach students the difference in using commas and semi-colons (sorry, teacher, but it's not "personal choice".  Clear communication in this century is never "personal choice".  It's a requirement for success.) to practically anyone; anyone who wants to learn it, for sure.  Effort.  Commitment.  Ownership.  It's the idea that school, and life, really does have a purpose, and it's up to us to TRY.  Take ownership over behavior and actions, and good things happen:  there is more tenacity, more excellence, and more passion for success.
Full circle.  I guess those four words really are intertwined after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment