Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Life of a Family

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. - Richard Bach

I am reminded every year during applications to Harriet Bishop of the dedication of all of our families. Now, that's not to say that I don't see that dedication all year long, because believe me, I do. I had a prospective parent the other day ask about the level of volunteerism in our school, and I was so proud to answer that question! But I am doubly reminded of the dedication of families to their children at this time of year, because parents, grandparents - even neighbors - go out of their way to see that their children try to get into our school. One parent had to travel some way to attend to a family member in the hospital, but needed to get her kindergartner in for testing and was going to possibly have a neighbor help. One grandparent actually filled out the application for her grandson. Countless teachers and caregivers took time out of their very busy day to write recommendations. Parents are collecting work and submitting entire portfolios.
None of this is easy work. Not for anyone. This is single-handedly the busiest time of my year as a coordinator. But golly, to watch these little ones and get to meet them - it's really wonderful. I have met great families, great kids, and I for one am just very thankful that our school exists.
The life of a family is not just one connected by blood. A family can exist anywhere - we are a family at Harriet Bishop, and we are excited to welcome new members to our family for next school year, all the while celebrating the family members who currently walk our halls everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment