Friday, September 25, 2009

What is the Goal of Education, really?

Math, reading, writing, social studies, science, art, music, physical education, Spanish, technology...the curricular list of "subjects" in our school.  But what is the goal of education?  I look at Harriet Bishop Gifted and Talented Elementary School's mission statement:
Harriet Bishop Gifted and Talented Elementary School's mission is to provide a rigorous curriculum within a flexible environment for a diverse population of student, to develop the gifts and talents of each child.
Children flourish in an environment that allows them to become self-directed learners and socially responsible citizens. By engaging in various learning experiences that promote cognitive, emotional, physical, social and artistic growth, students will develop an identity and a global awareness.
Our students will learn to capitalize on their potential through learning experiences, choices and collaboration with peers. We foster and recognize critical thinking and accomplishment, and expect excellence.

(I really like that mission statement.  Thank you, design team!)  I see where the curricular list of "subjects" fits in... they are the various learning experiences that promote cognitive, emotional, physical, social and artistic growth.  They are vital to the other part of our mission statement:  that students will develop an identity and a global awareness, and in doing so, will become self-directed learners and socially responsible citizens.  As a teacher, it has always been my mission to get my kids not to need me anymore.  Any of the readers of this blog who have had me or have children who have had me know that I say that all the time.  My goal as a teacher is to get my kids not to need me anymore.  But how do I do that when I teach curriculum?  I teach critical thinking, first and foremost.  And I teach inquiry.  Asking "why" is one of the best things we can do as people.  If I teach students to be questioners, and I teach them to think critically and problem solve (both academically and socially), then they become self-directed learners.  Is it important to learn how to add?  Absolutely.  It's the basis for all other math!  But it's just as important to teach our children how being able to add influences our life.  What good IS math in my life?  What does it do for me?
I remember Algebra I in eighth grade.  Mr. Thomas.  (I got detention once for passing a note in class.)  I just had the hardest time learning Algebra in Mr. Thomas' class.  I just didn't get it - and furthermore, I didn't see ONE link to my life, unless Algebra could make my brother disappear.  I couldn't care LESS what x equalled. 
So as I got older, I distanced myself from math (well, I loved geometry and did well in it, but that was because I thought of myself as a detective, figuring out mysteries), and then stopped taking it altogether.  I wish I hadn't.  But I did.  However, when I became an adult, I started to see how Algebra I actually connected to my life.  For instance, I once had to figure out how much carpet to buy for my living room, and ended up using Algebra to do so.  Even BETTER, I could use Algebra when cooking (still do).  I wish I had that life connection when I was younger.  The curriculum is a vital avenue, but the biggest picture has to be saved for how the curriculum connects to and enhances our lives.  How can we help kids become passionate and critical readers?  How can we help our students become passionate and critical thinkers? 
Some of the things we are doing at Harriet Bishop this year are new for students, families, teachers, staff.  It's a change, and change is hard.  But it's a change worth investing into - and sustainable change means that we need to reorient our priorities sometimes, which is often uncomfortable.  But we are doing at Harriet Bishop what we have asked our teachers to do when planning units and lessons:  begin with the end in mind - and in this case, the end is productive, happy, successful, intelligent, forward-thinking people.

No comments:

Post a Comment